Sixty-nine cases filed against firms selling substandard foodstuff
Nov 19, 2014-
The Department of Food Technology Quality Control (DFTQC) filed 69 cases in district administration offices concerned against food producers/traders in the first four months of the fiscal year.
The food producers/traders were found selling substandard and contaminated products during cross-checks carried out by the department. Of the total cases filed, 16 are related to firms from the valley, especially dealing in bottled water and dairy products.
The DFTQC central office inspected 317 businesses over the review period.
The department also sealed five valley-based firms. Of them, Himal Mineral has been charged with operating without license. Other businesses facing the action include Swastik Dairy of Ghattekulo; AB Beverage of Imadol, Lalitpur; and Tirupati Sweets, and Mahabir Sweets and Chat Shop from Baneshwor.
The DFTQC‘s Hetauda unit filed cases against 14 firms from Chitwan, Makwanpur, Bara, Parsa, Mahottari, Dhanusa, Sindhuli and Rautahat. Of the 305 companies inspected, most of them dealt in oil and ghee. Of them, products of Annapurna Vegetable Products, Lipanimal, Bara and Ganapati Vegetable, Simala, Bara were found substandard.
The department’s Biratnagar branch registered cases against two companies, including Jal Udhyog, Biratnagar-13 and Ganga Peyajal Udhyog, Biratnagar-1.
From the Western Region, nine companies faced the action. Of the 120 outlets inspected, the department sealed Anupama sweets Dairy and Bakery and Pawan Sweets and Bhojanalaya of Dhangadhi, Kanchanpur.
DFTQC Spokesperson Purna Chandra Wasti said the cases of sales of substandard products were more in urban and suburban with higher population density. He said the firms would be taken action as per the Food Act 1966. According to the Food Act 1966, those found selling food items without license shall be fined Rs 1,000, while those selling low-quality products with minimal impact to health are penalised Rs 5,000. Manufacturers of substandard foods that severely affect or human health and even poses risk of death are fined up to Rs 10,000 and 2-3 years’ jail. Wasti said firms that have been sealed could resume operations after making prescribed improvement.
The DFTQC said it was preparing to file cases against 13 more traders from districts like Banke, Bardiya, Surkhet, Dang, Pyuthan, Dailekh and Jumla. “We are investigating them,” said Wasti, adding the monitoring teams also destroyed a large amount of products like chocolates, sweets, biscuits, spices, pickles, bakery products, packed food and carbonated beverage, among others, over the period.
DFTQC is also in the process of filing cases against 14 firms in Arghakhanchi, Kapilvastu, Nawalparasi, Kaski and Rupandehi. In the region, the department sealed two sweets shops.
Firms facing action
- Manisha Bakery, Sunakothi, Lalitpur
- Himal Mineral Water, Matatirtha, Kathmandu
- Global Food and Beverage, Ugratara, Kavrepalanchok
- Ganesh Mithai Bhandar, Lalitpur
- Hisi Spice and Food Industries, Prayagpokhari, Lalitpur
- United Water and Beverage, Koteshwor, Kathmandu
- Nilkantha Natural Spring Water, Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu
- Greenvery Mineral Water Industries, Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu
- Swastik Dairy, Kathmandu Metropolitan City-1
- Kalika Dairy Company, Bageshwori, Bhaktapur
- Dhamala Dairy, Ghattekulo, Kathmandu
- Jay Hanuman Food, Balaju Industrial Zone, Kathmandu
- Himalayan Spring Water Incorporated, Kathmandu
- Danfe Mineral Water, Kathmandu
- Godawari Mineral Water Products, Lalitpur
- Confectionary Khusbu Chocolate Udhyog, Birgunj, Parsa
- Annapurna Vegetable Products, Lipanimal, Bara
- Ganapati Vegetable, Simala, Bara
- Kanchan Trade and Suppliers, Pipalla Bazaar, Doti
- Deepak Cold Store, Amargadhi Municipality, Dadeldhura
- Dina Kharid-Bikri Suppliers, Jhalari, Kanchanpur
- Chandra Bahadur Khadka, Doti
- Hotel Opera, Kanchanpur
- Khadka Trade Centre, Suda-4, Kanchanpur
- Bhoomiraj Kirana Pasal, Jhalari-7, Kanchanpur
- Jal Udhyog, Biratnagar-13, Morang
- Ganga Peyajal Udhyog, Biratnagar-1, Morang
Published: 19-11-2014 09:14