Report on Nawalparasi ‘boy sacrifice’ incident made public
Aug 4, 2015-A field inspection report on the July 21 killing of a 10-year-old boy in the name of appeasing god at Marchahawa, Kudiya-4 in Nawalparasi district was made public.
The National Action Coordination Group (NACG), a network of organisations working against violence against children, publicised the report at a news conference here on Tuesday.
The report concludes that the heinous and barbaric incident took place due to poverty, lack of awareness and superstition.
On the occasion, member of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Mohana Ansari said the social practice of taking the words of shamans and witch doctors was a blot on society, pointing out the need of enforcing strong laws to banish such practices.
Coordinator of the monitoring team Krishna Subedi said such a cruel and inhumane incident taking place in the district which had been recently declared as the district with full literacy is shameful. He demanded stern action against the culprits.
Under-Secretary at the Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare, Kiran Rupakheti, suggested providing psycho-social counseling and rightful compensation to the victim’s family.
Representatives of various organisations working in the child rights sector, local children’s clubs, the Nawalparasi District Administration Office, the NHRC sub-regional office at Butwal, and the Informal
Service Sector Centre, journalists and security personnel were on the monitoring committee. RSS
Published: 04-08-2015 15:14
- Jiwan Kohara