5 die in clashes with police

  • Dozens hurt as protesters in Tarai districts demonstrate defying curfew order

Sep 2, 2015-

Five persons succumbed to bullet injuries in Birgunj and Kalaiya, two flashpoints of protest against the proposed federal set-up, in police firing on Tuesday. Tension flared up in Birgunj after a demonstrator died during the curfew hour at Radhemai on Monday.

Four persons succumbed to bullet injuries at different places in Birgunj of Parsa district as the protesters demonstrated defying the curfew order. About a dozen supporters of Madhes-based parties were injured in the clashes. Three critically hurt cadres were airlifted to Kathmandu on an Army helicopter.

Security personnel opened fire as the enraged protesters hit the street during the curfew and resorted to vandalism. They set two government vehicles parked on the Inland Revenue Office premises at Ghadiarwa Pokhari. Police claimed that the agitators had fired bullets and hurled improvised explosive devices there.

The agitation of the Tharus and regional forces against the proposed boundaries of seven provinces has engulfed central Tarai districts including Parsa, Bara and Rautahat.

Dharma Raj Singh of Inarawa Maniyari died when people opened fire in the Radhemai area at around 1:30pm. Singh died on the spot while three others sustained bullet injuries.

Sohan Sah Kalawar of Ghusukpur died during a clash with police in Birgunj-19. Police had fired at the rally led by Madhesi Janadhikar Forum-Loktantrik central member Amerilal Pal Raut during the curfew. Raut, who sustained serious injuries, was airlifted to the Capital for treatment.

In Birgunj-18, three persons sustained bullet wounds. Two of them succumbed to injuries at National Medical College. The deceased have been identified as Dinanath Sah and Bhola Prasad Sah of Nautan in Bara. Sadbhawana Party Chair Rajendra Mahato, who is in Birgunj, reached Narayani Sub-regional Hospital to meet the injured. He also saw the bereaved family of Dilip Chaurasiya who died in a clash with the police on Monday. Flaying the government for “suppressing Madhesi issues”, Mahato blamed the state for the absence of an environment for dialogue.

Tarai Madhes Loktantrik Party Chairman Mahantha Thakur, who was in Birgunj in the past two days, went to Kathmandu on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the local administration declared Birgunj as a riot zone. Chief District Officer Keshav Raj Ghimire said Nepal Army could be mobilised to aid civilian authority if needed.

The administration claimed that the security personnel were compelled to use force as the demonstrators resorted to vandalism, arson and even attacking law enforcement officers defying the curfew.

“The protesters fired bullets and hurled bombs, aiming the police in Nagawa and Shripur,” said Superintendent of Police Dibesh Lohani.

The banda enforcers torched police posts in villages bordering India in Parsa district. Authorities said the protesters torched posts at Langadi, Ashapur, Mirjapur, Janakitol, Budgain and Bhiswa.

In Bara’s Kalaiya, one Hiphajat Miya succumbed to injuries in police action. The victim, a resident of Kalaiya-10, died on the spot. The protesters demonstrated with the body at Kalaiya Chowk. Suresh Yadav of Phulbariya sustained critical bullet injuries.

The security personnel lobbed tear gas canisters and opened fire as the protesters attempted to demonstrate in the prohibited area.

Deputy Superintendent of Police Binod Sharma said tension escalated as the protesters entered the prohibited area and seized his communication device.

About 50 persons, including 17 police personnel, were injured in the confrontation.

Meanwhile, the protesters torched the Kachorwa police post while police evacuated posts in Dewapur, Badaki Phulbariya and Gandak fearing attacks.

Published: 02-09-2015 08:40

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment