People behind Janakpur incident booked: Basnet
Dec 28, 2015-
Home Minister Shakti Basnet on Sunday said charges had been filed against four persons for misbehaving with President Bidhya Devi Bhandari in Janakpur.
Briefing Parliament on Sunday, Basnet said the closed-circuit camera had captured 15 people, including four women, demonstrating and that cases had been filed against the arrestees under the public offence. He said search is on for other individuals, while further investigations are underway.
“The protest had begun right after President’s motorcade left the temple premises. Petrol bomb was hurled into the temple while a priest was manhandled,” said Basnet, vowing to take strong action those involved in violence against women and trying to incite communal violence.
The government had formed a probe committee last week to investigate into the incident. The four-member team led by Home Ministry Joint-secretary Binod KC
visited Dhanusha Chief District Officer Kali Prasad Rijal and chiefs of security agencies, and inquired about the incident.
President Bhandari had visited Janaki Temple on December 16 to offer prayers on the occasion of Ram Janaki Bibaha Mahotsav. Protesters carrying black flags had gathered at different places in Janakpur since early morning that day and burnt tyres to protest the President’s visit. Immediately after President’s convoy left the site, police had lobbed tear gas canisters and charged batons.
Home Minister Basnet says a CCTV footage has captured 15 people, including four women, demonstrating against President Bidhya Devi Bhandari at Janaki Temple
Published: 28-12-2015 09:25
- shakti basnet