Protests for provincial capitals continue in various districts

- Post Report, Doti

Jan 20, 2018-

Protests for provincial headquarters continued in different parts of the country on Friday as well. There were also some incidents of clashes and vandalism, which the authorities described as sporadic and nothing out of control. 

In Doti, at least 24 protesters and four police personnel were injured in a clash that broke out at Silgadhi after the protesters started pelting stones towards the District Administration Office. Police  fired several rounds of warning shots, tear gas shells and  at last resorted to baton charge to take the situation under control. 

Protesters also vandalised Local Peace Committee, Post Office, District Forest Office, and District Education Office buildings. 

They closed markets and obstructed vehicular movement in Silgadhi, Pipalla, Rajpur, Ghopghat and Budar areas. The people in Doti have been protesting for weeks now, demanding that Dipayal, the district headquarters, is named the capital of Province 7. 

In Dang, the indefinite general strike enforced by locals demanding the status of Province 5 headquarters affected the normal life for the third consecutive day. The protest for capitalhood has got stronger after the government on Wednesday decided to make Rupandehi the temporary capital of Province 5. The ongoing strike has brought the transportation service in Dang to a grinding halt while shops, marketplaces and educational institutions are also shut. 

Protesters gathered on the streets and major thoroughfares throughout the day on  Friday to press their demand. In some places, protesters burnt tyres on the roads and town centres. Vehicles travelling along the East-West Highway were stranded in Dang, leaving hundreds of passengers in trouble. The Struggle Committee Secretary and CPN (Maoist Centre) district co-incharge Nirmal Acharya warned that they will continue the general strike until the government changes its decision and names Dang as the temporary capital of Province 5.

In Dhankuta, the indefinite general strike called by the protesters entered its third day on Friday. Normal life continued to be affected by the shutdown. Transportation, educational institution, factory and market places are closed for the last three days. The local administration has requested the agitating side to withdraw the banda. On Thursday, authorities in Dhankuta had issued a prohibitory order after in the town after the protest turned violent. 

(with inputs from our local correspondents)

Published: 20-01-2018 08:08

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment

Main News