Army pip Jhapa on penalties, lift trophy

  • Jhapa Gold Cup

Mar 13, 2018-

Tribhuvan Army Club (TAC) pip hosts Jhapa XI in sudden death penalty shootout to clinch the Jhapa Gold Cup football tournament title at the Domalal Rajbanshi Stadium on Monday.

The penalty shootout went to the distance and decided after the 10th shot after the regulation and 15 minutes of extra time had finished in a 1-1 deadlock. The tiebreake was locked at 3-3 in the first five spots kick and both the teams converted the next four attempts in sudden death. Jhapa goalkeeper Kishor Giri was then denied by his TAC counterpart Bikesh Kuthu allowing Tanka Basnet to chance to score and win the second title here.

The title was a record seventh silverware of the season for Army. They received Rs 1.25 million. Jhapa, who now have an unwanted record of losing all three finals on their home turf, got Rs 600,000. Jhapa had lost to the same opponent and Manang Marshyangdi Club in the previous two edition with an identical 1-0 scorelines.

Both the team started with offensive approach with Bishwas Shrestha’s freekick denied by TAC custodian Kuthu early in the third minute. Karna Limbu then should done better than shooting off target in the 30th minute after an acute cross from Shrestha. Army responded six minutes later when skipper Bharat Khawas scored only to be ruled as offside. TAC protested the decision prompting the spectators to hurl water bottles in the field which interrupted the game for about five minutes.

Jhapa made the breakthrough in the 59th when Limbu struck from the area to the delight of the home crowd. But their joys was shortlived as Khawas restored the parity for TAC in the 79th. Khawas scored in a goal-mouth melee following a corner from Dinesh Henjan.

Jhapa skipper Yogesh Gurung was adjudged player of the tournament and received a motorbike. Karna Gurung won the highest scorer award for three goals and got Rs 51,000 and his Jhapa teammate Bishwas Shrestha took the man-of-the-match accolade. He got Rs 25,000.

Devendra Tamang, also of Jhapa, was honoured with the best defender award. Kuthu won the best goalkeeper award and his TAC teammate Santosh Tamang the best midfielder accolade. Chun Bahadur Thapa of Army received best coach award. All the best individuals got Rs 31,000 each.

Three Star enter semi-finals

BUTWAL: Three Star Club defeated Friends Club 4-3 in tiebreaker to advance to the semi-finals of the Tilottama Gold Cup football tournament in Butwal on Monday.

The match was directly decided through spot kicks after regular time finished in a 2-2 deadlock. Bijay Dhimal, Niraj Basnet, NIrajan Khadka and Buddha Chemjong converted from the spot for Three Star but Rejin Dhimal was denied by goalkeeper Rajan Baba Thapa.

Kuldip Karki, Jangbu Sherpa and Barsat Gurung scored for Friends in tiebreaker. Friends foreign recruit Saila was denied by Three Star custodian Alan Neupane and Saroj Yonjan fired above the bar.

Earlier, Jonal Glory provided Friends the fifth minute lead before Ajayi Martins equalised in the 21st. Sujan Shrestha made it 2-1 for Three Star in the 48th minute and Friends equalised in the 85th through Saila. (PR)

Published: 13-03-2018 09:37

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment