General

Govt presses for safety of Nepalis in Saudi

- Post Report, Kathmandu

Mar 27, 2018-

The government on Monday directed its embassy in Saudi Arabia to monitor the safety and welfare of Nepali migrant workers following missiles attacks by rebels from the neighbouring Yemen.

An estimated 350,000 Nepalis work in different cities of Saudi Arabia. Speaking to the Post, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson Bharat Raj Paudel said, “We have instructed our embassy in Saudi Arabia to closely monitor the situation and make sure Nepalis are not affected in any way.”

Earlier on Monday, the Saudi government said its air defence successfully intercepted and destroyed seven ballistic missiles that Yemeni rebels launched on Sunday.

Yemen’s Shiite rebels launched the barrage of missiles that marked the third anniversary of the Saudi-led war in Yemen, according to reports. A local news website Al-Arabia quoted Saudi Army Spokesperson Colonel Turki Al Maliki saying three missiles headed towards Riyadh and two towards Jazan.

Saudi authorities have said the rebels launched missiles to target civilian population. With the tension likely to escalate in the Gulf, especially in Saudi Arabia, where thousands of Nepalis are working, safety issues of Nepalis have emerged.

Published: 27-03-2018 08:29

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment

Main News