CAN prez Aangbuhang under pressure to quit

- Post Report, Kathmandu
CAN prez Aangbuhang under pressure to quit

May 26, 2014-

Tanka Aangbuhang’s position as president of the Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) is under threat after a rival group at the cricket governing body on Thursday filed a vote of no-confidence against him.

The vote of no-confidence is signed by 42 regional and district members paving way for a special general assembly. The faction consisting of a majority of central committee members had recently announced their intention to oust the president.

The faction had alleged Aangbuhang of running the office at his own will while also promoting Ncell Nepal Premier League (NPL) publicly despite the majority of the CAN members pulling out its ownership at the last moment. CAN had previously given a green signal to NPL but decided to severe its ties. The disgruntled group claimed that the way the tournament was run did not meet the guidelines set by the ACC/ICC. They also blamed the event management company Zohra Sports Management for breaking the agreement with NPL’s governing council.

The 50-over event, however, went ahead in Dhangadi with Aangbuhang himself inaugurating the tournament and calling CAN’s decision ‘unofficial’ and ‘against the development of cricket.’ Already plagued by groupism, the rift in the sports governing body was publicly exposed following the president’s stance over the NPL.

According to vice-president Chatur Bahadur Chand, a special general assembly can now be called in 45 days. “CAN’s provision allows us to file a vote of no-confidence with support from 25 per cent of the overall members,” said Chand. CAN has 87 members from region and districts that includes 31 from the central committee. Chand claimed that the president has been outnumbered.

“Since the vote of no-confidence has been filed against the president himself, the senior vice-president holds the right to call the special general assembly. I believe the senior vice-president will address the issue in a meeting within a week and the general assembly can be called in 45 days following the approval from a two third majority,” said Chand.

Chand claimed that Aangbuhang has been isolated and suggested him to quit. “Especially after the NPL issue, there is no one in his favour. While 80 per cent of the existing members are against him, the remaining 20 per cent are neutral. Every operation of the CAN has been in a halt. The only way out to break this deadlock is the ouster of the president. If he wants to earn some respect, its better for him to resign at his own,” said Chand.

Published: 27-05-2014 08:57

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment