13.92 percent pie for education

Kathmandu

Jul 13, 2014-

The government has allocated the largest chunk of national budget to the  education sector with a marginal increment of 6.27 percent compared to last year.

The education sector will receive Rs 86.03 billion, 13.92 percent of the total budget, with an additional Rs 5.08 billion from last year’s Rs 80.95 billion. However, the government’s share in the education sector continued to decline this year by 1.73 percent from 15.65 percent last fiscal year. The share of the education budget has continuously been declining for last three years. The government had allocated 17.20 percent of the total national budget in the education sector in fiscal year 2011/12, which decreased to 16.60 percent in 2012/13, and further plunging to 15.65 percent in the last fiscal year.

The general international practice shows at least 20 percent of a country’s national budget and five percent of the total GDP is kept aside for the education sector to ensure the goal of ‘Education For All’. According to education experts, the increased budget will likely be spent on hiked salaries of teachers and officials in the sector. Around Rs 62 billion was used to pay salaries last year. With simple numerical calculations, the 10 percent increase in salaries will require Rs 6.2 billion, around a billion more of what was increased in the education sector this year. “This shows the government is not serious about enhancing the quality,” said expert Mana Prasad Wagle.

Of the total budget, Rs 6.52 billion has been set aside for university education through the University Grants Commission, while another Rs 1.39 billion has been allocated to the Non Formal Education Centre. Keeping in mind that the government plans to attain total adult literacy across the country in the current fiscal year,

the government has announced to start one school-one library and one  school-one science laboratory through the new budget. The budget also plans to add another 140 technical education schools from the current 100. The government, in the fiscal year, looks to create 2,000 posts for teachers in community higher secondary schools, 13 polytechnic schools along with 3,230 toilets in the public schools.

education sector

Year    Edu budget    Volume of the total budget

2014/15    Rs 86.03billion    13.92 percent

2013/14     Rs 80.95 billion    15.65 percent

2012/13    Rs 60.13 billion    16.60 percent

2011/12    Rs 63.91 billion    17.20 percent

2010/11    Rs 57.65 billion    14.25  percent

Published: 14-07-2014 09:58

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment