Short circuit sparks fire at KIA Motors service centre

- Anup Ojha, Kathmandu
Short circuit sparks fire at KIA Motors service centre

Sep 30, 2014-

A fire that broke out at the service centre of KIA Motors’ showroom in Tinkune on Tuesday destroyed property worth Rs 40 million and injured three workers. The blaze that started at around 11:30 am was caused by a short circuit, it is learnt.

The three workers of KIA motors’ showroom identified as Niranjan Shrestha, Raj Yadav and Birendra Pasang sustained minor burns and other injuries on their hands and legs. The fire destroyed all the equipments and machineries inside the service centre including vehicle filters, spare parts, glasses, and a generator.  

However, the fire was brought under control after an hour with the help of fire engines belonging to the Juddha Fire Brigade, Nepal Army, Nepal Police and the Armed Police Force. A large number of security personnel had also assisted in extinguishing the fire.

Two water tankers were also used in the efforts to extinguish the fire because of which traffic in the Tinkune section was obstructed for about an hour.

Kumar Gotame, a technician at the service center said the fire destroyed property worth Rs 40 million. Meanwhile, Sandip Chachan, executive director of the KIA Motors’ showroom, said the amount may be much higher than that.  

The fire that started from the garage has also caused a minor damage to a nearby three-storey building which has three bhattis (bars), shops and a hair salon. As soon as the fire broke out, people living in the adjoining building started shouting for help. The whole building was then evacuated with the help of the police and local people.

Suruchi Khadga, who owns a small stationery shop in the three-storey building, felt relieved after the fire was extinguished.  “I was so scared that my shop was going to be destroyed by fire during Dashain but I’m glad that nothing bad happened. This was possible due to the timely arrival of fire brigades and security personnel,” Khadga said.

SP of Armed Police Force Raju Maharjan, who had come to douse the fire along with 80 armed police personnel said, “As we saw the column of smoke raging from Tinkune, we ran to the place and started extinguishing the fire and evacuating the houses nearby.”

Published: 01-10-2014 08:01

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment