12 more bodies found, toll reaches 39

- POST REPORT, Kathmandu

Oct 19, 2014-

Rescuers on Sunday found 12 more bodies, including those of three Indian trekkers, from the Annapurna Circuit, taking the death toll from Tuesday’s snowstorm to 39.

Rescue workers said they had recovered 30 bodies, spotted two while seven others, who went missing, are presumed dead. Bodies of two Indian trekkers were seen in Fu VDCs of Manang but could not be pulled out due to bad weather. The body of another Indian trekker was found in Thorang Fedi, Manang. The victim is identified as Debasis De, 53, of Calcutta.

A Nepal Army team recovered bodies of nine trekkers from Syngde in Mustang and airlifted them to Jomsom.  Eight trekkers had gone missing in Manang. “The Army’s special taskforce will resume search and rescue operation in Fu and Nar VDCs on Monday,” said Manang CDO Devendra Raj Lamichhane.  

Locals, who are helping the Army’s team on search and rescue mission, fear the bodies might have been buried under up to 35 feet of snow. “It is very difficult to recover the bodies but we will make our last efforts on Monday,” Lamichhane quoted rescuers as saying.

On Sunday, 50 trekkers, including 10 foreigners, were rescued from Manang, 10 from Chhakra in Dolpa and eight from Hidden Valley in Myagdi. According to the Ministry of Tourism, a total of 407 trekkers, including 226 foreigners, have been rescued so far.

 

Published: 20-10-2014 08:57

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment