Govt: Weather warnings were issued

  • Himalayan blizzard
- POST REPORT, Kathmandu

Oct 21, 2014-

The government has said that though early warnings on possible impacts of cyclone Hudhud were relayed to all district administrations, the information did not reach the people trekking in the high mountain regions.

The Home Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that the authorities at the district level were advised to undertake precautionary and preparedness measures a day after Hudhud struck the Indian coastal area in Andhra Pradesh on October 12. It said that the Meteorological Forecasting Division (MFD) had issued a weather notice about possibility of moderate to heavy rainfall with flooding events in the Tarai region, but poor weather information relaying mechanism led to death of at least 33 people, including 16 foreign trekkers, in blizzards and avalanches in Mustang, Manang, Myagdi and Kaski districts.

The government’s claim, however, has been widely rejected by the trekkers and tour operators. They said that lack of proper weather forecasting system was responsible for the casualties, not the communication lapses.

At least 37 bodies have been recovered from the disaster-hit areas so far. Bodies of two Nepali citizens were recovered from Thorang La pass in Mustang district on Tuesday while eight people are still missing. Ganga Bahadur Chhetri, assistant spokesperson at the Home Ministry, said the search effort was still on.

Meanwhile, Tourism Ministry has refuted media reports that the government has stopped issuing trekking permits to Annapurna area.

Deceased foreigners

Israeli    4

Indian    4

 Polish    3

Slovakian    2

Chinese    1

Japanese    1

Unknown identity    1

Published: 22-10-2014 08:40

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment