Waste disposal resumes

- POST REPORT, Kathmandu

Feb 27, 2015-

The stalled garbage disposal works in Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC) resumed on Friday following an agreement between the locals of Sisdole landfill site and KMC authorities.

The meetings held to resolve the issues raised by the agitating side demanding increment in development grants to Sisdole from existing Rs 10 million to Rs 20 million concluded positively, thus removing the obstruction in garbage disposal since Monday, KMC officials said.

Rabin Man Shrestha, chief of Environment Division at KMC, said both parties agreed to work towards implementing the 17-point demand put forward by the Sisdole locals.

KMC generates around 500 metric tonnes waste per day, of which over 60 percent is degradable.

“The protests is not a new thing in Sisdole. Every year, the locals halt the transport of solid waste at the dump yard, accusing the authorities of failing to implement the past agreements,” Shrestha said. “We need to come up with some effective and long-term solutions to properly manage the growing solid waste management crisis in urban areas including Kathmandu Valley.”

Last month, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development had issued a circular, instructing the newly declared 16 municipalities inside Kathmandu Valley to adopt zero landfill site concept in their areas and to encourage involvement of private bodies to manage the solid waste. The move is an effort to promote the concept of zero waste, which refers to waste management both at household and commercial levels through reduce, reuse and recycle process.

Published: 28-02-2015 09:10

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment