Print Edition - 2015-05-19 | News
Demolition of unsafe buildings gets underway
May 18, 2015-
The government has started demolishing the earthquake-damaged buildings that are posing threat to the people and the nearby houses.
A joint team of the security forces led by Nepal Army (NA) have so far demolished 32 houses from the three districts inside Kathmandu Valley.
According to the NA headquarters, eight houses in Kathmandu, 11 in Lalitpur and 13 in Bhaktapur have been demolished so far. Demolition squads have been deployed in 10 places in Kathmandu, four in Lalitpur and five in Bhaktapur.
The NA headquarters said in a statement that the demolition work will continue based on the need and request from the concerned authorities.
The demolition is carried out after the metropolitan city and municipalities report to the security forces through district administration office after assessing the status of the houses.
The government on Thursday had formed an apex committee comprising the members from the Home Ministry, Federal Affairs and Local Development Ministry, Physical Infrastructure and Transportation Minister, NA, Nepal Police, Armed Police Force and local bodies.
So far, the Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC) has recommended demolishing around 500 buildings. According to Uttar Kumar Regmi, administrative officer at KMC, more recommendations will be made after carrying out the study of the houses damaged by the earthquake.
In the lack of equipment and the trained manpower, the government has decided to contract foreign companies to demolish high-rise apartment buildings that were severely damaged by the quake.
“We have been unable to pull down the tall buildings due to the unavailability of skilled human resource and equipment. We have to import them,” said Padam Kumar Mainali, spokesperson at the Ministry of Urban Development.
He said the government has also formed a high level taskforce under the coordination of Shiva Hari Sharma, deputy director general at Department of Urban Development and Building Construction, to conduct an in-depth assessment of high-rise buildings.
According to Home Ministry, a total of 576,266 private and 3,032 government buildings were either destroyed or damaged by the earthquake.
Published: 19-05-2015 07:57