Flood displaced face grim future

- THAKUR SINGH THARU, BANKE

Jun 1, 2015-

The flood displaced families in Banke district are under stress as they have been ordered to evacuate the temporary huts they had set up in the forest areas.

Though the local bodies had assured that they will be provided with adequate relief materials and rehabilitated properly, most of the flood displaced families are living in poor housing facility in the community forest area. And now with the latest ultimatum, the flood-victims are worried what the future would hold for them as they have nowhere else to go.

Manisara BK, one of the flood victims from Phattepur-7, said they have been ordered to vacate the community forest area during the difficult monsoon season when hopes of getting a suitable place for them to set up makeshift huts for them to live is difficult to find.

“When we were rendered homeless by the floods, the government had allowed us to stay in the nearby community forest area by constructing temporary shelters. Now with the government ordering us to vacate the place, we have nowhere to go,” said BK.

Though the government and various other organisations have been engaged in efforts to devise temporary relief measures for the flood victims, they seem to have failed to come up with long-term plans, including finding appropriate land and housing for the flood victims. The victims said this year too similar problems may occur due to the poor-functioning of the government.

Another flood victim Dhaniram Chaudhary of Kachanapur-6 said they are being forced to relocate to another area by the authorities.

“We will be left in lurch if we leave this area,” he said in a sad tone.  

On the other hand, Dal Bahadur Rana, who is also living in a temporary shelter built in the community forest, said they have no desire to stay in the community forest forever.

“If the government provides us proper alternative, we are ready to move there immediately,” he said.

About 11,025 households in Banke were affected by the flood related disaster last year The ferocious floods and inundation in Banke, Bardiya, Surkhet, and Dang districts had claimed the lives of 250 people.  The government had announced that it will provide immediate relief, including food, temporary shelter and compensation to families affected by the flood through the Central Disaster Relief Committee. However, the government has not been able to implement resettlement packages till now despite announcing to provide around Rs 35 million to the families affected by the flood.

Meanwhile, flood-victims have drawn attention of the local administration and political parties to take initiative in resolving their problem in Nepalgunj on Sunday. They urged the concerned authorities to manage proper settlement for them before the onset of monsoons in the country.

Published: 02-06-2015 07:29

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment