One more dies after consuming toxic liquor

- POST REPORT, Siraha

Jun 10, 2015-

One more villager died after consuming illicit moonshine at a Musahar settlement in Chandraayodhyapur-6, Siraha, on Wednesday. With this, the death toll from drinking a toxic batch of bootleg liquor has reached five.

District Health Office (DHO) identified the latest victim as 25-year-old Sunil Sadaya, who died at home after being unable to get the treatment. The Siraha District Hospital had referred Sadaya to BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) in Dharan, but his family could not take him there due to financial constraint.

“Sadaya’s wife asked me to take him home stating that she needed to manage some money before taking him to Dharan for treatment. But upon reaching their home, she asked me to return saying that she failed to manage the amount,” said Ramesh Chaudhary, an ambulance driver who drove the victim to his home. He further said the villagers had instead called a local shaman for his treatment.

Five persons had died after drinking a toxic batch of bootleg liquor that sickened another 18 on Monday.

According to Dr Dayashankar Lal Karna, chief at the DHO, all those who died or fell ill after consuming the bootleg liquor initially suffered from common symptoms of headache, dizziness, nausea and then blindness.

Published: 11-06-2015 08:39

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment