Families displaced by Jure landslide left in lurch

- Rishiram Poudel, JURE (SINDHUPALCHOK)

Aug 1, 2015-

Victims of the Jure landslide that killed 145 people and rendered scores homeless on August 2 last year are still left in lurch.

Sixty-seven families displaced by the massive landslide have been living in pitiable condition as the government failed to come up with a concrete plan for their resettlement a year after the disaster. Immediately after the incident, the government had announced to provide relief and pledged resettlement.

“We are compelled to stay under these tent. The plight of many families is the same,” said Chandraman Tamang, who lost his parents and a child in the nature’s fury last year. He said that he did not have any hope of receiving support from the government.

Moreover, victims are enraged as the government did not give permission to utilise the amount collected in the name of Jure Landslide Relief Fund. Around Rs 22 million was collected at the local level as individuals and local organisations donated generously for the cause. But the fund meant for the victims of the catastrophic landslide has been sitting idle at the District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC).

According to the committee, they have been unable to utilise the funds to provide relief and compensation to the landslide victims and rehabilitate them since the Ministry of Home Affairs has not given its permission yet.

“A plan has been made at the local level over the distribution of the funds to the victims. But we cannot implement it unless there is a  decision from the centre,” said Chief District Officer Balabhadra Giri.

The massive landslide on August 2 had blocked the river and formed a lake at Jure in Mankha VDC, destroying a kilometre section of Arniko Highway.

Published: 02-08-2015 08:21

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment