Man ferrying fuel set on fire in Morang


Nov 27, 2015-

A group of people on Thursday confiscated petrol from a man, doused him with the confiscated petrol and set him on fire at around 10am.

The victim has been identified as Bablu Rajbanshi.

The incident occurred at Bhatigachha-2 in Morang district. The assaulters are said to be victim’s old acquaintances.

Bablu was on a motorcycle (Ko 15 Pa 2450) with two jerry cans filled with 30 litres of petrol when he was accosted by the perpetrators, accusing him of smuggling petrol. 

After primary treatment at Koshi Zonal Hospital in Biratnagar, Bablu was taken to BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan. 

Dr Sonai Chaudhary said the victim has suffered burn injuries on hands, legs, abdomen, thigh and back. Bablu said he was transporting petrol his brother Hirakaji’s garage in Khorsane, Morang.  

“A group of people who I am familiar with asked why I was carrying petrol during a banda,” said Bablu. “I requested them to let me go. Then all of a sudden, one of them broke the jerry cans with a khukuri. Petrol started to spill on the floor. They doused me with the petrol that was remaining in the cans and another person struck a match stick and set me on fire,” Bablu told the Post from hospital bed. 

Bablu said the attackers ‘are involved in the ongoing protests’. “I immediately took my jacket and pants off, but my body was still in flames,” said Bablu. “A local woman poured water and doused the fire,” he added. 

Meanwhile, Bablu’s family has lodged a complaint against five persons- Jugeshwor Mukhiya, Ajaya Singh, Jitendra Mukhiya, Ramnarayan Gupta and Harinanda Singh-accusing them of murder attempt. We have started investigation and search is on to nab the suspects, said police. 

Rambabu, Bablu’s uncle, claimed that the assailants have long been involved in looting goods, including fuel, from people bringing them from India.

Bablu works at his brother’s garage. “I had sent him (Bablu) to bring petrol for the garage. I had never thought such an incident would befall him,” said Bablu’s brother Hirakji.

Victim spends hours in ambulance

MORANG: Bablu Rajbanshi, who was set on fire by a group of people on Thursday morning, had to spend about three hours in an ambulance. Bablu was initially admitted to Koshi Zonal Hospital in Biratnagar, which after primary treatment had referred him to BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences in Dharan. So he was taken to BPKIHS in Dharan, but he was brought back to Biratnagar. According to Bablu’s brother Suraj, Bablu was again taken to Dharan from Biratnagar at around 3:30pm. He was finally admitted to BPKIHS at 4pm. The attackers had set Bablu on fire at around 10am.

Published: 27-11-2015 08:29

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment