Shortest road to China in two years, says Army

- Binod Ghimire, SYAPHRUBESI

Apr 3, 2016-The Mailung-Syaphrubesi section of much talked about road connecting Rasuwagahi to Kathmandu through Galchhi will be completed in around two years provided government ensures adequate budget and construction materials. This road, being constructed by Nepal Army, is to key to implementing the Transit Transport Agreement between Nepal and China singed during Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli’s China visit last week.

At 28 km, it is the shortest route that connects Thori with Rasuwagahi. It was designed as an alternative route to Betrawati-Dhunche-Syaphrubesi road section following continuous obstruction due to landslide in 6-km area in Ramche. The General Directorate of Construction and Development Works of the Army is currently working on 4-km stretch from Syaphrubesi to Hakubesi. 

According to Major Sanjay KC, who is taking the lead opening the track, the construction of 2.3 km road (1.1 km double lane and 1.2 km single) has been completed so far. In April last year, the government had ordered the Army for the construction of the 4-km stretch. “We will complete the remaining section in the next eight months,” he told reporters on Saturday. Out of the total estimated cost of Rs230 million, the government has released Rs 127 million. 

Following the frequent directives from the Development Committee of Parliament, the government has assured that there will not be dearth of money, fuel and explosives for the Army to carry out the construction of the road. In December last year, the Cabinet had also decided to hand over the construction of the remaining section of Betrawati-Mailung-Syaphrubesi section to the Army. 

Of 28-km stretch, the Nepal Army has been tasked to build 16 km as the Korean developer of Upper Trisuli Hydropower is working on the remaining section. 

Explaining that the Army team has made preparations to work from three points to expedite the construction, Major KC said all the works from Betrawati to Syaphurbesi will be completed in two years if there is a regular flow of budget from the government. Currently, around 250 army personnel including civilian labourers are working on the project. 

Following the five-month-long border blockade imposed by India, the government had decided to open the new double lane track in line with its plan to open multiple border points with China to ease crisis of fuel and other essentials. 

 

Published: 03-04-2016 08:52

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment