Print Edition - 2016-05-18 | News
‘Vulnerable groups at exclusion risk’
May 18, 2016-
There is a high chance that the poorest and the women victims of last year’s earthquake may not be able to rebuild their homes as they have lost their documents or have never had any documentation in the first place, said the report released by Oxfam on Tuesday.
According to the report, the government is planning to disburse rebuilding relief to only those who possess land ownership certificates. “This group include many women as well as tenant farmers and those considered ‘squatters’ who do not own the land they live and work on, even if they have lived on it for generations,” the report said.
Around 40,000 earthquake-affected families had no land documentation to begin with while some 26,000 people remain displaced and are living in camps, Oxfam said, adding that 7 percent of earthquake victims have lost important documents like land ownership and citizenship certificates.
The April 25 earthquake of last year and its aftershocks destroyed more than 600,000 houses and damaged nearly 300,000 others across the country.
Immediately after the first jolt, the government had announced Rs 200,000 rebuilding subsidy for every household that lost its home but it has yet to make good on the promise.
“It is very difficult for Oxfam to accept that hundreds of thousands of people will be living in temporary shelters or unsafe houses for a second year because of delays in reconstruction and that a significant number might not qualify for support,” Oxfam’s Director in Nepal Cecilia Keizer said. “We urge the Government of Nepal to heed the lessons of previous disasters and ensure that the most vulnerable groups-women, landless, Dalits and indigenous people-are not pushed to the back of the queue.”
Published: 18-05-2016 08:47