Medical board asks for detailed report

- Post Report, Kathmandu

Jun 7, 2016-

The medical board of the Ministry of Health (MoH) has asked two persons who have applied for gender change in their citizenship to furnish detailed medical reports before they can decide on the matter. 

A board meeting chaired by the director of Bir Hospital on Sunday asked the two persons, who claim to have undergone sex change, to submit the reports. 

“We received the letter from Health Ministry. But it did not have any medical reports,” said Dr Swoyam Prasad Pandit, director of Bir Hospital. 

“Since the two persons had also come to the hospital, we have asked them to bring in all the relevant medical reports and informed the ministries accordingly.”

Claiming that he underwent a sex change surgery at Dhulikhel Hospital of Kathmandu University, Ranjam Danuwar 

(name changed) of Kavre district submitted application at the Kavre District Administration Office (DAO) on March 25, requesting a change of gender 

as “female” in the citizenship card. 

Similarly, Ranjila Nepal (name changed) of Thulo Sirubari has applied at the DAO with a similar request. In her application, she said that she had undergone a sex change surgery in a Praram9 Hospital in Thailand. Nepal has sought a change in sex status from “female” to “male”. 

The Citizenship Act of Nepal-2006 only talks about technical errors while preparing the citizenship card, but there is no provision on persons who would like to change their sex following gender reassignment surgery.

The Home Ministry had taken up the matter to the Cabinet after the first case seeking gender change in the citizenship certificate was registered at Kathmandu DAO. Subsequently, the Cabinet had decided that a new citizenship certificate with change in gender as per the applicant’s demand if the medical board gives its 


Published: 07-06-2016 08:31

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment