Shrestha to run for president

  • anfa elections
- Post Report, LALITPUR

Sep 24, 2016-

All Nepal Football Association (Anfa) Acting vice-president Narendra Shrestha has officially announced his candidacy for the president of the country’s football governing body on Friday.

Anfa is holding its general assembly on October 24, which will elect president and a vice-president with just one-year remaining in the four-year tenure following the election of Ganesh Thapa as the head of football’s governing body. After Fifa slapped a 10-year ban on Thapa on bribery and corruption charges, Anfa has been without a president with Shrestha acting in the interim. 

The vice-president post had been vacant following the demise of Lalit Krishna Shrestha, who died of electrocution over a year ago. During a programme at the Anfa complex, Mani Kunwar also announced his candidacy for vice-president, meaning he will fight for the post with former national team skipper and goalkeeper Upendra Man Singh. 

“Its not only the support from club, district and friends that have motivated me to file for the president candidacy. I have spent my entire life in football and I firmly believe that its my right to ask for the remaining one-year remaining in the current tenure,” said Shrestha adding he has done everything he can and will continue to serve for the development of the game. 

“I will take the challenge to maintain national football team’s winning momentum. Anfa will run according to its statute and with financial transparency. I can assure that there will be no financial irregularities during my tenure,” added Shrestha. 

Ghale out of the race

Former Anfa vice-president Tashi Ghale is out of the race to be the new president as the hotelier said he would not contest the presidential elections. Ghale, who had already shown dissatisfaction over the election procedures, said he pulled out due to the same reason. 

“I had written to the National Sports Council regarding the electoral directives and procedure for the presidential elections but since I got no answer from anyone, I decide to remain out of the contest,” said Ghale who had said that the provision of having five proposers and five seconders to fight for the president was unfair.

Published: 24-09-2016 08:47

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment