Print Edition - 2016-11-21 | News
Quake survivors in Gulmi sans housing aid
Nov 21, 2016- Earthquake survivors in Gulmi are still waiting for housing reconstruction aid even after 18 months of the devastating quake. Victims of Khadgakot, Bhurtung, Jayakhani, Phoksing and Purtighat are in dilemma over rebuilding houses.
Quake survivor Maya Pariyar of Khadgakot-4 said her nine-member family has been staying in an animal shed since her house was destroyed by the earthquake last year. “We had only received Rs 15,000 in government relief and a tarpaulin. The government also provided red ID card, but we don’t know its purpose,” said Pariyar. Another quake victim Dila Dhakal, 78, of Khadkakot-4 said she had caught the cold due to the drop in temperatures. “We are living under a flimsy makeshift and have no money to build a new house,” she said.
According to the District Administration Office (DAO), 3,194 houses were destroyed in the disaster. Victim Yamnath Dhakal is also clueless about building a quake-resilient house. “I can construct a house myself, but I don’t know technical know-how,” said Dhakal.
Locals said Rs 3.1 million they raised from people staying overseas to support the quake victim has remained idle in the bank for a long time. Bhakti Ram Marasini, administration officer of the DAO, said they were planning to distribute the money to Dalits, impoverished and single women in the district. “We cannot distribute the money as we could not make a working guideline on time,” he said. The DAO said Khadgakot, Bhurtung, Jayakhani, Phoksing and Purtighat are the VDCs worst affected by the quakes. Secretary of the CPN-UML Pradeep Paudel said that the government has been distributing housing aid to the quake-affected families in 14 districts. Talking to reporters during his visit to Khadgakot recently, Paudel said that the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) would soon start distributing relief amount after collecting the details of the damage in the district.
Victims set up struggle committee
NUWAKOT: Quake victims who were left out the list of housing reconstruction aid have formed a struggle committee to start a protest in Nuwakot on Sunday. Committee officials said they had decided to launch a protest after the government failed to address demands of the genuine victims. Around 10,680 people, who were not included on the list, had registered their complaints at the NRA unit office in the district.
Published: 21-11-2016 08:18