Print Edition - 2016-12-17 | News
Rebuilding staff on warpath
Dec 17, 2016-
Engineers, overseers and sub-overseers mobilised in 11 earthquake-ravaged districts on Friday warned of resigning en masse if their demands were not met by next week.
They complained that the environment was not conducive for them to work on the ground while the government and the Reconstruction Authority had largely failed to address the grievances of the quake survivors over the building models and the payment of the second and third tranches of the house reconstruction aid.
They are also seeking timely allowances. Out of the 2,571 technicians deployed in the affected districts, 220 have already left their jobs complaining of late payment.
Kapil Regmi, an engineer leading the protesting technicians, said they had no idea how and when the second and third instalments of the house rebuilding grants would be distributed to the needy even as many had been pressing them to deliver the aid.
They have demanded dedicated offices to provide consultation in the concerned districts, municipalities, villages and resource centres, according to Engineer Sanjeev Amgai, another leader of the disgruntled field staff. “We have neither accommodation facilities nor materials to carry out reconstruction works,” said Amgai, presenting insurance as another of their demands.
Published: 17-12-2016 08:51