Print Edition - 2017-01-05  |  News

Gyewali points finger of blame at govt agencies

  • nra chief furnishes clarification
  • Says he has fulfilled his duty within the given jurisdiction
- PRAGATI SHAHI, Kathmandu
On Dec 29, the govt had sought his clarification, expressing dissatisfaction at his performance and delayed rebuilding works

Jan 5, 2017- Claiming that he has fulfilled his duty within the given jurisdiction, National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) Chief Executive Officer Sushil Gyewali has said non-cooperation from the government agencies for delayed reconstruction works. 

In his clarification submitted to the Office of the Prime Minister and Council Ministers (OPMCM) on Wednesday, Gyewali has blamed the Ministry of Finance for failing to release funds on time to implement the plans and programmes approved by the NRA’s Directive Committee and the Ministry of Local Administration for not providing officials as required in the vacant posts of the revised NRA’s organisational structures.  
Expressing dissatisfaction at Gyewali’s performance and delayed reconstruction works, a Cabinet meeting on December 29 had decided seek clarification from the NRA chief. The government had raised four issues in a letter written to Gyewali--his failure to coordinate with government agencies for effective reconstruction works, inability to mobilise staff efficiently, lack of implementation of instructions given by the NRA Directive Committee and the delay in issuing housing grants to the homeless 
families.
Defending himself, Gyewali has claimed lack of cooperation and support from 
the government agencies involved in reconstruction works, including distribution of private housing aid and implementation of the directions given by the NRA’s Directive Committee in the past meetings. 
“I am responsible to follow up and coordinate with concerned ministries and agencies on whether the decisions from the Directive Committee are implemented. However, the Cabinet is aware of my jurisdiction that I cannot go beyond my role regarding the Cabinet’s decisions,” Gyewali has said in his clarification, according to a source at the OPMCM. 
Gyewali has stated that so far 41,311 households have already completed rebuilding the quake-damaged houses and 18,083 houses are under-construction in affected districts. 
The government has already approved the amended private housing guideline to distribute Rs 300,000 to each affected households in three instalments, and it is possible to complete the distribution of the second and third instalment of Rs 150,000 and Rs 100,000 respectively within the given time. 
Gyewali has also questioned government’s move of seeking clarification saying that the NRA’s Directive Committee chaired by Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal 
Dahal held in October 26 had said NRA’s performance satisfactory. 

Published: 05-01-2017 08:27

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment

Main News