China muzzles feminist group over Trump posts
Feb 24, 2017-
Chinese authorities have blocked a prolific feminist social media account for allegedly breaking the law with posts critical of US President Donald Trump, its editors said on Thursday. Earlier this month, staffers of the Feminist Voices account on China’s Twitter-like Weibo translated into Chinese parts of an article by American academics calling for a March 8 “general women’s strike”, and posted them. The article spoke of the need for “a new wave of militant feminist struggle” against Trump’s “aggressively misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic and racist policies”. The post was deleted days later, and the account has been suspended for 30 days, editor Xiong Jing told AFP. Xiong said they were told in a notice that the account had “violated Chinese laws and regulations”. It gave no specifics, but any suggestion in China of a call for strikes or protests typically draws an official reaction.
Published: 24-02-2017 08:44