O’Reilly out after harassment claims
Apr 21, 2017-Presenter Bill O’Reilly has been dropped from Fox News over sexual harassment claims, the company says.
“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations... Bill O’Reilly will not be returning,” the network said in a one-sentence statement.
He has been on holiday since 12 April, and was seen shaking hands with Pope Francis at the Vatican on Wednesday.
O’Reilly said it was “tremendously disheartening” to leave over “completely unfounded claims”.
More than 50 sponsors have withdrawn ads from his show, The O’Reilly Factor.
Pressure on Fox has mounted since recent reports that five women had received $13m (£10m) in payouts because of O’Reilly’s behaviour.
The prime-time presenter, who has been with the US network almost since its inception, has denied all of the allegations.
“It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims,” he said in a statement released after his dismissal.
In an internal memo sent to 21st Century Fox employees, the company wrote that the decision had been made after “extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel”.
The letter—signed by Rupert Murdoch and his sons Lachlan and James—praised Mr O’Reilly as “one of the the most accomplished TV personalities in the history
of cable news”.
It added that the network was committed to “fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect”.
Published: 21-04-2017 08:33