12 years on, Bandarmudhe victims await justice

- Rastriya Samachar Samiti, CHITWAN

Jun 7, 2017-Twelve years have passed since the infamous Bandarmudhe bombing incident, but the victims are still clamouring for justice. 

The bomb explosion carried out by the then rebel group, CPN (Maoist), on a passenger bus at Madi in southern Chitwan had taken the lives of 38 people and left 72 injured. 

The incident was widely condemned. More recently the CPN (Maoist Centre) has also apologised for the attack. However, the victims want more than acknowledgement and apology from the perpetrators. They want the persons responsible behind the attack brought to justice. 

Krishna Adhikari, vice-chairman of Bandarmudhe Incident Victims’ Struggle Committee, said little has been done to punish the persons who carried out the attack. 

He added that the bereaved families have so far been provided Rs 500,000 each as compensation and among the injured, 18 have just received minimum relief assistance. 

Among those left inured, Adhikari said, 10 are not in the position of performing everyday works, some are dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder and health complications. 

Madi Municipality recently elected local representatives in the May 14 local elections and Thakur Dhakal of the CPN (Maoist Centre) was elected the mayor. 

Dhakal said he was committed to taking necessary steps to deliver justice to the victims.

Published: 07-06-2017 08:59

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment