Print Edition - 2017-08-13 | World
3 killed in Kenya over vote protest
Aug 13, 2017-Three people, including a child, have been shot dead in Kenya during opposition protests which flared for a second day on Saturday after the hotly disputed election victory of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Interior Minister Fred Matiangi blamed the unrest on “criminal elements” looting and robbing businesses and assured Kenyans that “there is no need for alarm”, urging them to return to their daily lives. The uncertainty gripping the nation provided a grim reminder of a disputed 2007 election which led to two months of ethno-political violence that left 1,100 dead and 600,000 displaced.
Kenyatta was declared the victor in the presidential election Friday night with 54.27 percent to Odinga’s 44.74, with protests erupting in the opposition leader’s strongholds
in Nairobi and the western city of Kisumu almost immediately. Local government official Wilson Njega confirmed one person had been shot dead outside Kisumu in protests, while an AFP reporter saw three patients with gunshot wounds in the city’s hospital.
In the southwestern town of Siaya, a police officer said a man had been shot dead in a demonstration, but “we have not managed to collect the body... because of resistance from protesters.”
On Saturday morning, an AFP photographer saw the body of a nine-year-old boy whose family said he had been shot in the back while watching the protests from a fourth floor balcony in Mathare, a slum in the capital.
Published: 13-08-2017 10:27