Print Edition - 2017-10-03 | News
at least 58 people KILLED IN Las Vegas SHOOTING
-, LAS VEGAS (United states)
Oct 3, 2017-
A 64-year-old man armed with more than 10 rifles rained down gunfire on a Las Vegas country music festival on Sunday, slaughtering at least 58 people in the largest mass shooting in US history before killing himself.
The barrage from a 32nd-floor window in the Mandalay Bay hotel into a crowd of 22,000 people lasted several minutes, causing panic. Some fleeing fans trampled each other as police scrambled to find the gunman. More than 500 people were injured.
On Monday, police identified the gunman as Stephen Paddock, who lived in a retirement community in Mesquite, Nevada, and said they had no sense of what prompted his attack. The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the massacre, but US officials expressed skepticism of that claim.
The preliminary death toll, which officials said could rise, eclipsed last year’s massacre of 49 people at an Orlando night club by a gunman who pledged allegiance to Islamic State militants.
Police said they had no information about Paddock’s motive, that he had no criminal record and was not believed to be connected to any militant group. Paddock killed himself before police entered the hotel room he was firing from, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said. “We have no idea what his belief system was,” Lombardo said. “I can’t get into the mind of a psychopath.” The dead included one off-duty police officer, Lombardo said. Leaders from around the world expressed shock and sadness at the news.
Published: 03-10-2017 07:36