Print Edition - 2017-10-10  |  World News Digest

Mass trials of Boko Haram suspects

- Agencies, KANO (Nigeria)

Oct 10, 2017-

Nigeria on Monday prepared for its first major prosecutions of suspects linked to the Boko Haram conflict in closed-door trials at a military base. The defendants have all been arrested and detained since the start of the Islamist insurgency in the country’s northeast in 2009. The justice ministry announced last month that some 1,670 detainees would go on trial at a civilian court at a military base in Kainji, in the central state of Niger. A further 651 others held at the Giwa barracks in the capital of the northeastern state of Borno, Maiduguri, would then be tried. A government source involved in the process told AFP from Kainji that defence and prosecution lawyers arrived early to prepare for the cases. “But from all indications, the whole of today (Monday) will be used for administrative purposes,” he said on condition of anonymity. 

Published: 10-10-2017 09:18

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment