Russia, China calls for calm after Trump comment on North Korea

- Reuters, MOSCOW

Oct 10, 2017-

Russia and China called for restraint on North Korea on Monday after US President Donald Trump warned over the weekend that “only one thing will work” in dealing with Pyongyang, hinting that military action was on his mind.

When asked what Russia made of Trump’s comments, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told a conference call with reporters:

“Moscow has called and continues to call on the parties involved in the conflict and on those who have anything to do with this issue to exercise restraint and to avoid any steps that would only worsen the situation.”

Commenting on a Trump statement that the United States might withdraw from a nuclear deal with Iran, Peskov said such a move would have “negative consequences.”

Speaking in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying reiterated a call for all parties involved with the standoff in North Korea to exercise restraint, describing the situation as extremely complex and serious.

China hopes all sides do nothing to irritate each other or worsen the problem and speak and act cautiously, she told a daily news briefing.

In recent weeks, North Korea has launched two missiles over Japan and conducted its sixth nuclear test, all in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions, and may be fast advancing toward its goal of developing a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the US mainland.

Trump repeatedly has made clear his distaste for dialogue with North Korea. Last week, he dismissed the idea of talks as a waste of time, a day after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Washington was maintaining open lines of communication with the North Korean government.

Published: 10-10-2017 09:16

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment