Print Edition - 2017-11-02  |  Life & Style

Old Vic expresses ‘deep dismay’ over Kevin Spacey assault claims

- The guardian, LONDON

Nov 2, 2017-

The Old Vic theatre has expressed “deep dismay” at sexual assault allegations made against its former boss, Kevin Spacey, and has set up a confidential complaints process for anyone who would like to come forward.

The statement was made as the TV company Netflix said it was suspending production of its flagship series House of Cards following the allegations made against its star.

The channel had previously said the show would end after the conclusion of its current series but took the decision on Tuesday to stop production immediately.

Spacey has been accused of making a drunken sexual advance to a 14-year-old boy in 1986, when he was 26. He responded by claiming to have no memory of the incident but apologised and came out as gay.

The Old Vic in London, where Spacey was artistic director for 11 years until 2015, initially released a brief statement saying it had received no complaints of improper behaviour during or after his tenure.

On Tuesday it went further. A statement read: “The Old Vic would like to respond to recent media reports by making it clear that we are deeply dismayed to hear the allegations against Kevin Spacey, who was artistic director from 2004–15.

“Inappropriate behaviour by anyone working at The Old Vic is completely unacceptable. We aim to foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, 

harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level, as set out in our joint statement with the theatre industry on 23 October. We want our employees to feel confident, valued and proud to be part of the Old Vic family. Any behaviour we become aware of [that] contravenes these goals will not be tolerated.

Published: 02-11-2017 08:17

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment