Print Edition - 2017-12-02 | News
One killed, five dozen hurt in violence over two weeks
Dec 2, 2017-More than 100 cases of improvised explosive device detonation, aimed at hindering poll campaigns, have been reported in the past two weeks, killing one person and injuring 38 others in total.
A report compiled by the National Human Rights Commission shows 107 cases of IED blast across the country since November 15. The report shows that the highest number of incidents—30—was reported on November 26, the first-phase polling day.
According to the report, 25 incidents of clash between the cadres and supporters of different parties took place in the period, injuring 25 people. “A total of 63 people have been injured in the blasts and clashes,” the report says. Despite security assurances from the government, poll-related violence has become common. The report, compiling data from 55 districts, shows incidents of IED detonation in 30 districts. Binod Chaudhary, a temporary police recruit, was killed after an explosive device went off at a rally in Tulsipur, Dang, on Tuesday. He succumbed to his injuries in course of treatment the next day.
Around a dozen blasts took place targeting the candidates from different parties. IEDs were detonated targeting CPN (Maoist Centre) candidates Narayan Kaji Shrestha and Barsha Man Pun, among others. Nepali Congress leaders Ram Chandra Poudel, Ram Sharan Mahat and Naya Shakti Party Coordinator Baburam Bhattarai also escaped blasts.
The rights watchdog said the incidents are against the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the existing legal provisions which ensure the right of a citizen to vote freely and without fear.
The NHRC has also requested all the stakeholders to respect others’ rights while campaigning and assembling. At a press meet, the NHRC last week said the challenges had grown in the absence of a designated home minister. Currently, Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba holds six ministries after he stripped Maoist ministers of their responsibilities.
Udaypur CDO recalled
UDAYAPUR: Udayapur Chief District Officer Chandra Man Shrestha was recalled to the Home Ministry on Friday, citing his failure to maintain law and order in the district in the run-up to the second phase of federal parliamentary and provincial assembly elections.
The Home Ministry has sent Pradip Raj Kandel in place of Shrestha, who was transferred to the district some six months ago. Shrestha has been criticised for his failure to stop a series of explosions.
Seven people, including Nepali Congress federal parliament candidate for Udaypur-2 Narayan Bahadur Karki, were injured when an improvised explosive device went off at Danuwarbeshi of the district on November 29. The injured have been undergoing treatment in the Capital.
On November 28, NC leader Narayan Khadka survived an explosion at Triyuga Municipality-10 on his way to Beldobhan to attend a poll rally. (PR)
Published: 02-12-2017 07:41