Print Edition - 2018-02-10 | News
Radio Kantipur honours year’s outstanding musical talents
Feb 10, 2018-
Radio Kantipur presented the 19th edition of National Music Awards 2074 on the premises of Soaltee Crowne Plaza in Kathmandu on Friday evening.
Addressing the event, Chairman and Managing Director of KMG Kailash Sirohiya said besides being a conduit for dissemination of balanced news and information and a crucial bulwark for transparency and accountability, Radio Kantipur has also been a passionate promoter of music, arts and culture.
“Award ceremonies like these are testament of Radio Kantipur’s devotion to music, arts and culture. We are recognising outstanding talents from this platform,” he said.
“Radio Kantipur shall continue its service with the same passion and zeal in the coming days and strive to maintain currency with the changing times.
“As with Kantipur daily,” Sirohiya announced, “Radio Kantipur will shortly start provincial broadcast, each service catering to the interest and topics relevant to that particular province.”
The KMG chair also announced the launch of a new mobile application of Radio Kantipur. The app will help take Radio Kantipur to its listeners wherever they are in the world.
The main award ceremony had 17 categories of musical awards with 80 nominees and a Lifetime Achievement Award. The musical categories included Best New
Singer of the Year, Best Lyricist, Best Music Director, Best Playback Singers,
Best Pop Singers and Best Band.
Menuka Paudel won the Best New Singer of the Year award for her song “Ek Jamana Pachi”. The Best Band award was taken by the rock outfit, 1974 AD.
“Jaula Railai Ma” by Kamal Khatri won the Best Song of the Year while Satya Raj Acharya’s Madhushala was honoured with the Best Album of the Year.
The Lifetime Achievement Award was given toPoet Laureate Madhav Prasad Ghimire.
Ghimire was jointly honoured by KMG Chairman and Managing Director Sirohiya, KMG Director Swastika Sirohiya and the Editor-in-Chief of Kantipur Sudheer Sharma.
“I am honoured to be awarded by the Kantipur Media Group,” said Ghimire, who turns 100 this year.
“I always wanted to get into classical music, but it is disappointing that I could never contribute anything to that field. However, I have seen the role of media change and I couldn’t be happier than this by receiving an award from this organisation.”
The award ceremony also had musical performances by popular singers such as Karna Das, Swoopna Suman, Melina Rai, Ram Krishna Dhakal, comedian Sandip Chettri, and among others.
Radio Kantipur Awards 2017
1. Lifetime Achievement Award: Madhav Prasad Ghimire
2. Best New Singer of the Year: Menuka Paudel
3. Best Lyricist: Ramesh BG
4. Best Music Director: Kali Prasad Banskota
5. Best Singer Lok Male: Pashupati Sharma
6. Best Singer Lok Female: Muna Thapa
7. Best National Song: Desh ko Maya by Sumiti Khadka
8. Best Playback Singer Male: Sugam Pokhrel
9. Best Playback Singer Female: Melina Rai
10. Best Singer Pop Male: Deepak Bajracharya
11. Best Singer Pop Female: Shreya Sotang
12. Best Band: 1974 AD
13. Best Singer Adhunik Male: Ajjar Jangam
14. Best Singer Adhunik Female: Banika Pradhan
15. Best Song of the Year: Jaula Relai Ma by Kamal Khatri
16. Best Album: Madhushala by Satya Raj Acharya
17. Best Song Popular Choice Award: Suna Saili by Hemanta Rana
Published: 10-02-2018 06:29