Army pip Police, enter semis

  • jhapa gold cup
- Post Report, BIRTAMODE

Mar 9, 2018-

Tribhuvan Army Club (TAC) beat departmental rivals Nepal Police Club (NPC) 1-0 to enter the semi-finals of the third Jhapa Gold Cup football tournament at the Domalal Rajbanshi Stadium in Birtamode on Thursday. 

A lone goal from Nepali international George Prince Karki two minutes before break was sufficient for the first edition champions to see off NPC and set Saturday’s last four meeting with defending champions Manang Marshyangdi Club. TAC tested NPC as early as in the 14th minute forcing goalie Satrughan Chaudhary to punch a Bharat Khawas header to safety. 

NPC responded four minutes later forcing custodian Bikesh Kuthu to come into action and deny Dinesh Rajbanshi. In the 27th minute, Nir Kumar Rai fired inches above the bar for NPC and three minutes later his teammate Rejin Subba’s header ended also flew whiskers away from the target.

TAC, chasing a record seventh title of the season, made the breakthrough in the 43rd minute through freekick which was awarded for a foul on Nawayug Shrestha. Karki converted the resulting freekick from the edge of area. The Army club have already lifted the titles of the Simara Gold Cup (Bara), Khaptad Gold Cup (Dhangadi), Bishal Memorial Gold Cup (Birgunj), Satashi Gold Cup (Jhapa), Kakadbhitta Gold Cup (Jhapa) and Hetauda Gold Cup this season.

In the 65th minute NPC custodian Chaudhary foiled Karki’s goal-bound header following a pass from Khawas. NPC almost drew level in the 82nd minute only for goalie Kuthu to deny Bhandari’s header. TAC coach Chun Bahadur Thapa said his side played far from their natural best owing to injuries to some of their key players. NPC coach Ananta Thapa rued on the missed chances.

Hosts Jhapa XI will take on Lalitpur-based top-tier outfits Three Star Club in the first semi-final match on Friday.

Published: 09-03-2018 09:56

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment