Govt and police snub rights body

  • ganga maya hunger strike
- Post Report, Kathmandu
NHRC Secretary Bed Bhattarai says the commission can summon the chief of the respective authorities if they do not to respond

Jun 12, 2018-The government and Nepal Police headquarters have ignored National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) request to end Ganga Maya Adhikari’s hunger strike.

Adhikari has abstained from food and water for the last 14 days. She wants the authorities to bring Maoist rebels to justice for murdering her son Krishna Prasad.

The commission on Friday urged the authorities to take action and report to the Commission within three-days. The deadline ended on Monday without any response from the concerned authorities.

NHRC Secretary Bed Bhattarai secretary told the Post, “We can summon the chief of the respective authorities if they do not to respond.”

Adhikari’s health condition is serious. She has not eaten and ingested any liquid in last two weeks. She has refused admission to ICU. She is on strike at Bir Hospital.

Human Rights activist Charan Prasai said, “The government has to take action to save her life.”

Adhikari seeks arrest and prosecution of Chhabilal Poudel, the main accused in her son’s murder and expedite the hearing that is sub-judice in Chitwan district. The court has deferred the hearing 15 times so far. Poudel, along with six others, remains free ever since the Chitwan District Court released them on bail.

A division bench of Supreme Court (SC) justices comprising Girish Chandra Lal and Deepak Raj Joshi on December 2015 revoked Hetauda Appellate Court’s verdict on July 2014 to release Poudel on bail and remanded him to judicial custody.

The SC had ordered the authorities to arrest the seven suspects and resume the murder trial. The apex court’s decree remains unenforced.

Two months after the Hetauda Appellate Court upheld the Chitwan District Court’s decision to release the suspects, Ganga Maya’s husband Nanda Prasad’s hunger strike ended with his death at Bir Hospital in September 2014.

Nanda Prasad’s body remains at the morgue of the Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital. Ganga Maya and her eldest son

Nur Prasad decided not to perform the last rites until the authorities brought the murderers to justice. The apex court had overruled the Hetauda Appellate Court’s decision more than a year after Nanda Prasad’s death.

A native of Fujel village in Gorkha district, Krishna Prasad Maoist rebels abducted and murdered him on June 6, 2004, in Chitwan district.

The insurgents captured the 18-year-old and killed him on spying charge while he was on a visit to his grandparents in Chitwan.

Published: 12-06-2018 07:21

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment