Print Edition - 2018-09-12  |  World News Digest

At least 19 killed in Afghan suicide attack

- AGENCIES, JALALABAD

Sep 12, 2018-

A suicide attack on protesters in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday killed at least 19 people, officials said, as an uptick in violence across the country dampens hopes for peace talks and elections. Another 57 people were wounded in the blast in Nangarhar province, where demonstrators had blocked a highway in protest over the appointment of a local police chief, provincial governor spokesman Ataullah Khogyani said. Provincial health department spokesman Inamullah Miakhil confirmed the number of dead and wounded. “Dozens of wounded people have been brought to Jalalabad hospitals so far,” Miakhil added. The attack came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls’ school in the provincial capital Jalalabad, which killed a boy and wounded four others.

Published: 12-09-2018 08:27

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment