Print Edition - 2018-12-09 | News
Makwanpur quake victims seek land
Dec 9, 2018-
One thousand eight hundred and eighty-one people in Makwanpur district, who were displaced by the 2015 earthquake, do not own a land for rebuilding their homes, according to the District Project Implementation Unit of National Reconstruction Authority (NRA).
Somraj Timalsina, chief of the District Project Implementation Unit, said 527 families in Hetauda Sub Metropolis, 796 families in Bakaiya Rural Municipality, 35 families in Bagmati Rural Municipality and 523 families in Manahari Rural Municipality do not possess land.
The NRA had included 33,974 families in the housing reconstruction aid list in Makwanpur. Among them, 26, 332 quake affected families had signed a housing reconstruction aid agreement with the NRA. So far, 178 quake victims have registered an application for a second batch of the aid whereas 280 quake victims have filed for an application to receive the third instalment in the district.
Tilmasina said 19,329 quake victims have started reconstruction of their houses in Makwanpur district.
However, the government has not provided housing aid to the landless quake victims. Krishna Prasad Dahal, a member of federal parliament, said the government should provide housing aid to the landless families who are living in public lands.
District Coordination Committee Chief Raghunath Khulal has requested Dahal to take initiatives from the central level to sort out the problem of landless quake victims.
Published: 09-12-2018 07:55