Repair work in Swayambhu area finally takes off

- Rastriya Samachar Samiti, Kathmandu

Jan 15, 2019-

The reconstruction work of two structures inside the Swayambhunath complex, which was damaged by the 2015 earthquakes, has begun today.

Home Minister Ram Bahadur Thapa laid the foundation stone of the two structures—the priest’s quarters and a monastery—today. Speaking on the

occasion, he said the reconstruction would be prioritised and any delay would not be allowed.

Under the project, 18 buildings and Viharas (monasteries) within the Swayambhunath complex will be reconstructed within a year at a total cost of

Rs180 million, the Swayambhu Reconstruction Users Committee president Ishwor Buddhacharya said.

Kathmandu Metropolitan City mayor Bidya Sundar Shakya said the metropolis is committed to rebuilding the damaged heritages. He said the reconstruction has not gained pace despite allocation of adequate budget, as various other bodies created obstructions. Member of Parliament from Kathmandu constituency-7 Rambir Manandhar said the post-quake reconstruction work had been delayed due to political instability in the past, but it would now gain pace with the formation of a government.

KMC ward no 15 chairman Ishwar Man Dangol said the reconstruction of the heritages would be carried out preserving the original architecture. The reconstruction in Swayambhunath area is being carried out in coordination with Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC).

Published: 15-01-2019 08:00

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment