Mangalsen Durbar sees 75 percent work in 10 years

- MENUKA DHUNGANA, ACHHAM

Feb 16, 2019-

The construction of Mangalsen Durbar, in Achham district, has been in limbo for the last 10 years. The palace was bombed and severely damaged during the Maoist insurgency.

In 2008, the government had allocated Rs 22.5 million for the reconstruction of the palace, which was earlier built in Kathmandu’s Hanuman Dhoka Durbar’s style. Locals said that the construction of the durbar has been delayed due to the lackadaisical approach taken by the contractor company, Saud Constructions, towards completing the construction.

The construction was underway in 2008 itself but citing reasons such as shortage of timber, the contractor company failed to complete construction, according to locals. Jaya Bahadur Saud of Saud Constructions said that they have so far completed 75 percent of the construction work of the palace. “We will complete the construction by October this year,” said Saud.  

The palace, spanning 20 metres in length and 16 metres in width, was sold off to the government in 1958 by the heirs of the Achham King at Rs 80,000, according to Surat Bahadur Shah, a historian.

Former lawmaker Govinda Bahadur Shahi said that the palace was bombed and destroyed during the Maoist insurgency. According to the District Police Office, 122 people including Nepal Army soldiers, Nepal police personnel, civil servants and locals were killed in the explosion.

Published: 16-02-2019 10:01

Next Story

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment