Print Edition - 2018-10-03 | World News Digest
China: Security dialogue postponed at US request
Oct 3, 2018-
China has postponed upcoming security talks with the United States at the request of Washington, a Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman said on Tuesday, amid rising tensions between the two sides over trade, Taiwan and the South China Sea. Spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement posted on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that the two sides had initially agreed “in principle” to hold the second round of security talks in October. “The United States has recently expressed its wish to postpone the dialogue,” she said, adding that the two sides would continue to “maintain communication” on the talks. She did not elaborate. The meeting of the US China Diplomatic and Security Dialogue, which first took place in Washington last year, was due to be held with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis. A US official confirmed that the meeting had been cancelled, though he did not say whether it was related to an escalating trade dispute, concerns about US arms sales to self-ruled Taiwan or Chinese military activity in the South China Sea.
Published: 03-10-2018 08:29