Tharu men flee villages in wake of deadly Tikapur clash


Sep 2, 2015-

Fifty-six men belonging to the Tharu community were briefly detained by the border police at Trinagar in Kailali on Monday. They were headed to India fearing harassment from police in the wake of the August 24 riot at Tikapur in Kailali, where eight security personnel and a two-year-old child lost their lives.

The India-bound men were freed after questioning, said Superintendent of Police Bikram Chand.

“We inquired them about the Tikapur incident. They were released as they had nothing to do with the case,” said SP Chand.

Rumour about police randomly apprehending Tharu men from Tikapur and its adjoining areas have driven away many youths from their homes in recent days.

Purna Bahadur Chaudhary, one of the men held for questioning by the border police, said he decided to leave his village because he could no longer move about freely.

“After the clash I did my leave my home because of the fear that I might be arrested.

I packed my belongings and left soon after the curfew was lifted,” he said.

The number of Tharu men leaving their villages has increased after the Tikapur riot.

Besides the fear of getting arrested, their decision to leave their homes has also been influenced by a possible injunction that their community leaders could issue, demanding their compulsory participation in future protests.

A similar injunction was allegedly issued in several Tharu villages on the day of the Kailali clash.

Situation in Kailali, mainly Tikapur and its nearby areas, is still tenuous. A large number of security personnel are still on the ground on patrolling duty.

The curfew order is relaxed only for a few hours in the morning. More than a week has passed since the Tikapur incident, but things have yet to go back to their normal routine.

Tekraj Chaudhary, who fled his home after the deadly riot, said he had no idea when the situation would improve.  

“I have found myself a work in a fish farm and I could be there for some time. I don’t know what will happen,” he said.

Parliamentary probe team in Kailali

TIKAPUR: A parliamentary team led by Jiban Ram Shrestha arrived here on Tuesday to probe last week’s carnage in which eight security personnel and a minor were killed. The team held discussions with the representatives of various political parties, social organisations and local people. Shrestha said the team would study about the incident and soon submit a report to the Legislature-Parliament.

Published: 02-09-2015 09:01

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment

Main News