Print Edition - 2015-05-19 | Main News
Rescue works halted in Singati
May 18, 2015-
Army personnel involved in search and rescue in Singati said it was impossible to carry out rescue efforts without proper tools. Bishwash Bikram Shah, chief of the Barda Bahadur Battalion of Nepal Army based in Charikot, said they need concrete cutter to reach people trapped under their houses.
A commercial hub of 18 VDCs in the upper part of the district, Singati has been ruined as almost all the houses there have been destroyed and landslides cover the area. Landslips have destroyed the road leading up to Upper Tamakoshi Hydropower Project.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Ajay KC said rescuers had pulled eight bodies by Monday from Singati and 10 from under the landmass that swept Kattikebhir. Officials believe people are still trapped under vehicles while a number of victims may be buried in landslides.
Personnel from the NA, Nepal Police and Armed Police Force were deployed in Singati. Lives are at stake there as boulders keep falling from above due to frequent aftershocks.
Stating that essentials such as medicines and water have already been supplied, Chief District Officer Prem Lal Lamichhane said he had informed the Centre about the situation.
Tarp demand unmet
More than three weeks after the devastating quake, people still flocked to the District Administration Office on Sunday asking for tarpaulins. The demand for tarps shot up after the third major jolt last week damaged 55,000 of the 57,000 houses in the district.
Meanwhile, the tarpaulins sent by the Dolakha Chamber of Commerce and Industries for distribution in Charikot were robbed halfway.
Published: 19-05-2015 07:53