Eight reported missing in Singati

- POST REPORT, Dolakha

May 21, 2015-

With rescue operations gaining pace, eight people from various VDCs in the district have been reported missing in Singati, police said.

Most of the missing had reportedly reached Singati on the fateful day of May 12, when aftershock measuring 6.8 on the richter scale struck the country, and have remained out of contact since.

According to police reports, Man Bahadur Tamang, 60, of Barang VDC had reached Singati on May 12, and since then his condition and whereabouts has not been known.

Likewise, 14-year-old Omraj Bhujel and Jiwan Magar of Chilankha VDC had also reached Singati on that fateful day, but have remained out of contact since.

Police said that a total of eight persons from places outside Singati are feared to have been buried in the landslides triggered by the quake and subsequent aftershocks.

Till date, 29 bodies have been recovered from  Singati area, while American rescue expert Brian Smith has been working closely with the Nepali rescue teams to retrieve more bodies.

Unable to retrieve dead bodies that still lie trapped under debris brought by landslips, the team has cleared the debris and repaired a two kilometer track from Singati to Laduk Bulung to resume vehicular movement from Friday.

However, road repair work along Upper Tamakoshi and Sorungkhola is yet to be started. According to Chief District Officer Prem Lal Lamichhane, Nepal Army headquarters and Upper Tamakoshi Hydro-Project shall arrange for the necessary equipments for road repair. 

Published: 22-05-2015 07:59

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment