Print Edition - 2015-06-13 | Main News
Death toll reaches 35; 22 still missing
- Taplejung landslide
Jun 12, 2015-
The death toll from Wednesdayís massive landslides in Taplejung district has reached 35. Twenty-two others are still missing in the disaster.
Multiple landslips triggered by incessant rainfall swept away a number of settlements in Thinglabu, Liwang, Lingtep, Khokling and Santhakra VDCs on Wednesday night.
Rescuers took out five bodies of a family from the debris in Thinglabu. Bodies of three siblings, including a three-month old girl, were recovered in Liwang.
Personnel from Nepal Army, Nepal Police and Armed Police Force deployed in the affected area rescued 13 people from Lyamlyam in Liwang. The victims were trapped in landslides there. Chief District Officer Damaru Prasad Niraula said the rescued have been settled at a safe place in Khokling.
According to Deputy Superintendent of Police Shantiraj Koirala, 27 bodies were handed over to the families.
The local administration said the rescuers had reached the worst-hit area on foot. An NA helicopter returned to the Capital due to some technical glitches in its engine. CDO Niraula said they requested the Home Ministry to send a bigger chopper to aid the rescue efforts.
Eight people, who sustained serious injuries in the landslides, had been airlifted by the Army. One of them is receiving treatment at Taplejung District Hospital while the seven others were taken to the BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences in Dharan.
Meanwhile, the local people have urged the Water-induced Disaster Management Committee to rehabilitate the displaced from Dobhan Bazaar. The residents there are at a high risk as the flooded Mewa river has been eroding the embankment. A lot of damage was caused downstream as the river blocked for about half an hour burst the dam created by a landslide.
Published: 13-06-2015 08:50