Kin of Doramba massacre victims hopeful of justice

- TIKA PRASAD BHATTA, RAMECHHAP

Jan 25, 2016-

Family members of the 2003 Doramba massacre have expressed hope that the government will investigate into the incident and take action against the perpetrators.On August 15, 2003, the then Royal Nepal Army had shot dead 21 civilians in detention. They were captured by the Army as Maoist insurgents.

Speaking to a team of Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), relatives of the victims said they hope to see their deceased family members get justice.

“The perpetrators of that massacre are still walking free. We want them brought to justice for taking innocent lives,” said Mehendo Tamang, the widow of one of the victims.

Kaili Tamang, who also lost her husband in the incident, shared a similar sentiment. “Many organisations have assured us justice, but nothing has been done so far,” she said. “Not a single arrest has been made, nor have we received any compensation.”

The victims’ relatives said all they have done so far is wait in vain. But with the transitional justice bodies in place, they said their hope for justice has once again revived. The TRC team led by Commissioner and Spokesperson Madhabi Bhatta collected the details of the massacre from the victims’ relatives and other locals. The team also visited the site where the massacre had occurred.

 

Published: 25-01-2016 09:24

User's Feedback

Click here for your comments

Comment via Facebook

Don't have facebook account? Use this form to comment