Print Edition - 2016-08-06 | Main News
PM takes initiative to honour 3-point deal
- Govt decides to provide Rs 1m each to those killed during Tarai protests
Aug 6, 2016-
Honouring the three-point deal signed by the CPN (Maoist Centre), the Nepali Congress (NC) with the Sanghiya Gathabandhan, an alliance of Madhesi and Janajati parties, the government on Friday decided to provide Rs 1 million each to the families of those who were killed during the protests in the Tarai.
The compensation will be provided to the families through respective District Administration Offices.
The Maoist Centre, the NC and the Gathabandhan had signed a three-point deal on July 4, just before Maoist Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal was elected the prime minister by Parliament. The quid pro quo deal meant the Gathabandhan would support Dahal’s prime ministerial candidacy and the subsequent government formed under Dahal would address the concerns raised by the Madhesi-Janajati alliance.
The deal also calls for the government to register a constitution amendment proposal in Parliament, and for this the governing parties have also agreed to form a task force to do the necessary preparations. The governing parties—Maoist Centre and the NC—have also agreed to form a judicial commission within a week to probe into the incidents that occurred during the Tarai protests.
More than 50 people, including police personnel, were killed during the protests after the promulgation of the constitution in September last year. Declaring those killed during the protests martyrs and bearing medical expenses for those who were injured were other demands of the Gathabandhan.
However, the Cabinet did not take any decision in this regard, as there “is still some dispute over the number of people killed during the protests”, said Minister for Agriculture Gauri Shankar Chaudhary. “It may take some time to take a decision regarding declaring those killed [during protests] martyrs.”
According to Minister Chaudhary, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) will do necessary documentation of the injured, damage caused and arson and all the incidents, including in Kailali district.
Friday’s Cabinet meeting has tasked MoHA with compiling data of those injured and clearing all the dues at hospitals where they were treated.
On Friday’s development, Gathabandhan Coordinator Upendra Yadav said the commitment made by the ruling parties “is a good gesture”.
Published: 06-08-2016 10:50