Print Edition - 2016-09-25 | News
Engineers call off strike
Sep 25, 2016-Engineers mobilised by the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) in earthquake-affected districts to support the reconstruction works have called off their strike after the NRA decided to address their concerns.
Around 2,800 engineers deployed in the hardest-hit districts by the last year’s earthquake to help in rebuilding the houses of the earthquake-affected families were on a protest from last week in various districts including Dolakha, Ramechhap, Gorkha, Kavre, Dolakha and Sindhupalchok, bringing the rebuilding work to a halt.
They were demanding appointment letter and salary and allowances.
The NRA and the Central Implementation Unit under the Ministry of Urban Development signed an agreement with the protesting engineers on Friday, following which they decided to call of their strike.
A proposal including the demands of the engineers has been forwarded to the Ministry of Finance urging it to release the required fund as soon as possible, said Ram Prasad Thapaliya, spokesperson for the NRA.
“The NRA has asked the households who have received the first instalment of the private housing rebuilding aid to seek engineers’ help while rebuilding their houses to ensure that they meet the safety standard set by the government,” he said.
The government mobilised around 2,800 engineers to the earthquake-affected districts in April this year as part of its efforts to construct earthquake resistant houses.
Published: 25-09-2016 07:57