Print Edition - 2017-07-23 | News
Quake survivors denied second tranche of housing aid
Jul 23, 2017-
People living in Singati, the business centre of Bigu, Gaurishankar and Kalinchok Rural Municipalities in Dolakha, have been saddened after the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) labelled their bazaar a risky area and stopped distributing the second tranche of the housing reconstruction aid.
Earthquake affected households of Singati had already received the first instalment of the housing aid. “Around 100 families who have already constructed their houses are deprived of the second instalment. Though the bazaar is termed a risky area, people have been constructing permanent houses here,” said Bodhraj Shrestha, a trader in Singati bazaar.
There are around 250 shops and eateries in Singati. “We have stopped distributing the second tranche of the aid after a technical report showed that the area is at risk of floods and landslides,” said Sagar Acharya, the Dolakha chief of the NRA.
The Water Induced Disaster Management Division Office has started a Rs150 million project after sensing that the Tsho Rolpa glacial lake risks bursting out and flooding the settlements downstream. Narayan Prasad Subedi, chief of the division, said around Rs60 million was used to protect Singati from flood and
NRA chief Govinda Pokharel had promised the people of Singati the second batch of aid. “Though the NRA chief assured the quake victims of distributing the aid soon, the authorities are hesitating to provide the second tranche of the aid,” said ward Chairman Buktam Tamang. On the other hand, people are facing difficulties collecting the aid amount from Ramechhap,
People have to reach the Manthali branch of the Nepal Investment Bank to receive the cash. Initially,
the bank had opened a
temporary branch in
Singati for providing aid recipients with bank accounts. The bank
later asked the quake
survivors to receive the amount from the Manthali branch.
Published: 23-07-2017 06:54